LVISD Procedures for RTI
Introduction of Response to Intervention
La Vernia ISD utilizes the Response to Intervention (RTI) process to monitor the progress of all students and to address the needs of struggling students based on specific data. Response to Intervention (RTI) involves high-quality instruction and interventions based on student’s individual needs using frequent progress monitoring to make important academic or behavioral decisions for individual students.RTI includes three Tiers
Tier 1 includes all students in the general education classrooms receiving instruction from highly qualified teachers using high-quality instruction. Teachers are expected to recognize and address different learning styles and vary their methods of instruction to meet the needs of all students.
Tier 2 interventions include high quality instruction, flexible grouping, and targeted small group instruction in addition to the core instruction. Reviewing progress frequently and adjusting the interventions as needed is essential.
Tier 3 is increasing the intensity, frequency, and/or duration of the targeted interventions. Reviewing progress frequently and adjusting the interventions as needed is essential.
RTI Team Members
- principal/assistant principal
- student’s regular classroom teacher
- individuals with special knowledge in area of intervention (reading/math specialist, behavior specialist, counselor, etc)
- individuals with special knowledge of the student (ex: ESL teacher for ELL student, counselor, tutor, etc)
Role of the RTI Team
- monitor academic progress of all students
- facilitate the RTI process
- decision makers for academic/behavior interventions on individual students
- ensure interventions are taking place and progress monitoring data is available